The West Somerset Railway Association belongs to the members.
Simply by joining the WSRA, and renewing your subscription each year, you will be directly supporting the heritage and sustainability of the West Somerset Railway.
All members have the right to attend and vote at WSRA general meetings. Members receive a copy of the WSR Journal four times a year, a periodic e-newsletter and a discount off the full price of travel, courtesy of the WSR PLC. There are also discounts available at some of the retail outlets on the West Somerset Railway.
When you join the Association the choice is entirely yours – you can simply keep in touch with events by reading the WSR Journal and newsletter and visiting the line from time to time, or you can become actively involved with the WSRA.
How you can become a member
Membership Fees 2021
WSRA membership fees are:
Adult (aged 16-64) £25
Adult Couple* £38
Senior (aged 65 and over) £21
Senior Couple* £32
Student (aged 13 – 23 and in full time education) £10
Family* (2 adults and up to 2 children under 16) £46
WSR working volunteer with current HOPS ID card** £15
* joint members must share address and contact details
** WSR working volunteer memberships DO NOT INCLUDE MAILED JOURNALS. Access to an electronic version of the Journal will be available. A valid email address must be provided and all communications will be electronic.
Ways to Join or Renew your membership
It’s easy to join or renew your membership:
- Complete the online application / renewal form and pay via paypal.
- You can even opt for future renewals to be automatic via paypal, saving you the time and effort each year.
- Complete the online application / renewal form but choose to pay via BACS. Your application will be processed when payment is confirmed via our bank.
- Download the Application and Renewal form and post it to us with your cheque payment.
Please allow us 28 days to process your membership application. Under the UK distance selling regulations, you have fourteen days from the receipt of your membership card to cancel, with no obligation. We do hope you won’t!
FREE introductory membership for working volunteers
To celebrate our 50th Anniversary year, WSRA is offering a FREE membership for 1 year to all working volunteers on the railway who are not yet WSRA members. Simply submit a photograph of yourself volunteering on the railway from 1st May to 30th September 2021, and claim a year’s FREE Working Volunteer membership of the WSRA. The volunteering work you demonstrate in your photograph can be anything that supports the West Somerset Railway, so gardening, signalling, catering, admin etc are all good.
If you’re already a working volunteer member please encourage your colleagues to JOIN US – why not offer to take their volunteering photograph and get them started.
How to claim your FREE year’s membership?
Complete the membership application, making sure that you choose FREE VOLUNTEER OFFER under membership type and follow the instructions to upload your photo.
Terms and Conditions for 50 years celebratory free membership
1. All communications except the sending out of your membership card will be electronic.
2. Free membership is for one year only to celebrate our 50 years supporting the railway
3. Current members may not apply. This is a ‘try before you buy’ offer.
4. By submitting your photograph you agree to the WSRA using it to promote the Association and the Railway including adapting, copying and redistributing it in any medium and format for that purpose.
5. If someone else takes the photo for you, please ensure that you have their permission to use it for this purpose.
6. The photograph submitted must clearly show the applicant engaged in volunteer activity on the West Somerset Railway during 2021.
7. Once your membership has been confirmed you will be able to access the members area of the WSRA website and participate in general meetings and member consultations. You will also receive access to an electronic version of the Journal.
8. This promotion is valid from 1st May 2021 until 30th September 2021.
Membership Application Form
The WSR Journal supports the West Somerset Railway, by publishing accurate and up to date information to inform members and generate enthusiasm and support.
Today’s glossy colour journal started life as a simple newsletter, printed in-house and sent out to keep members up to date with what was happening on the railway.
Since 1978 the WSRA has published a colour Journal 4 times each year, packed full with articles and photographs to keep members up to date with developments on the West Somerset Railway.
The Journal is mailed out to members and is also available to purchase in the Bishops Lydeard Station Shop. WSR Working Volunteer members have access to an online version of the Journal.
Over the years there have been six different editors and the Journal has won several awards.
In September 2017 Ian Coleby took over as Journal Editor, and the editorial ‘team’ concept was further expanded with the introduction of an official deputy editor as well as a technical photo editor and several sub-editors and proof readers.
All the editorial team are volunteers.
The WSRA holds Archive copies of all issues of the Journal from January 1978 onwards and also of the preceeding newsletter.
Digital Journal Archives from Issue 155 onwards are available in the members area of this website.
Submissions for publication are welcomed, as are advertisements from local and heritage businesses. Publication is at the discretion of the editorial team. By submitting articles and photographs you accept that they may be edited as considered necessary and confirm that you hold the necessary publication rights.